Monday, January 24, 2022

Supreme Court

     I found this article very interesting. I have always known what the job and title of the Supreme Court were, but there were many details that I did not know. One small interesting fact I learned was that the Supreme Court went by the acronym SCOTUS. I had no idea they went by this acronym. It does make sense I was just unaware of them being called this name. The Supreme Court has a website that is very informative about the people involved with the Supreme Ciurt include a list of current justices.

    I know understand the Supreme Courts' role and impact on our country. They are meant to keep the other two branches of government in check. They are the only branch that can stop the agendas of the other two. This is my most important takeaway. I was always confused about how the branches of government were kept in check. It reassures me that the Supreme Court is a major part of the checks and balances system. 

Justices

    My most surprising takeaway was that the Supreme Court was almost inactive its first term. This makes sense if you think about it since the country was so young and not very orderly yet. I enjoyed this article because it helped me gain such a deeper understanding of the Supreme Court. I am also able to understand how the Supreme Court has changed over time. I read about many cases where the Supreme Court upheld and stopped unfair, or racist laws from being undone. However, they have done a good job in the case of separating church and state. In Engel v. Vitale, the rules that prayer forced by a public school is a violation of the First Amendment. Many people disagree with the separation of church and state, but I agree with the idea that it makes America more inclusive and free. Nobody should have religion forced upon them against their will. This is a great example of how the Supreme court is used in the United States.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My relationship with technology

     The   Impact   on   My   Lif e        The presence of technology in my life has been very beneficial in many ways.  I   see   technolog...